Tourism in Bangladesh
Best tourist places in Bangladesh
Here we are going to discuss about tourism in Bangladesh. There are many tourist attractions known to tourism in Bangladesh. Travelers have influenced by the natural beauty of Bangladesh for ages.
Among these are archaeological sites, traditional mosques and monuments, some of the world’s longest natural sea beaches, mountains, forests, etc. The natural beauty of this country fascinates tourists.
Do different things identify each area of Bangladesh? Cox’s Bazar is the longest sea beach in the world.
Problems of tourism in Bangladesh
In addition to Bangladesh’s communication and infrastructure difficulties, tourists are concerned about the ongoing political
instability and security.
Besides, there is a lack of both public and private leads to promote and promote the tourism industry. Tourists in various tourist spots suffer from various insecurities, including raids. Women and foreign tourists, in particular, have more problems besides the origin of the ferry walkers during the day. The tourists discouraged because of the high price of goods at the tourist spot.
The potential of tourism in Bangladesh
Travelers have influenced by the natural beauty of Bangladesh for ages. Naturally, the beauty of this beautiful Lakeland is the potential for the development of the tourism industry in Bangladesh.
Bangladesh can be a model of tourism in South Asia by utilizing all of the possibilities by adopting new strategies. In contrast, Bangladesh is a small size country, but the diversity in the existing tourist attractions can easily attract tourists.
The tourism industry recognized as the most significant industry on earth today. The overall development of Bangladesh depends on the development of the tourism industry. With the development of the tourism industry in the country, vocation will be created and poverty alleviation will be successful through reducing unemployment.
Tourists also travel farther and farther to the borders of their country to visit the historical places of ancient countries of different countries, dating to the arts, literature, cultures and customs. Tourism is a multidimensional labor-intensive industry. Due to the multifaceted sector, the potential for economic activity created at various stages.
This has the potential to create real employment opportunities. Besides proper coordination with government awards and related departments, improved infrastructure,
adequate planning and political stability needed for tourism. It is possible to further develop the tourism industry by offering the elements and sectors of they attractively at home and abroad.
The World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) said in 2013 that Bangladesh’s travel and tourism industry gained 1,281,500 jobs in 2012 or 1.8 percent of the country’s total employment, giving Bangladesh 157 out of 178 countries worldwide. Direct and indirect employment in the industry is 2,714,500 jobs or 3.7 percent of the country’s total employment.
The WTTC predicts that by 2023, travel and tourism will directly generate 1,785,000 jobs and support a total of 3,891,000 jobs or 4.2 percent of the country’s total employment. This would represent an annual growth rate of 2.9 percent indirect employment. Internal spending generated direct travel and tourism in 2012, making 97.7 percent of gross domestic product (GDP). Bangladesh’s world ranking in 2012 was 142 out of 176 for direct contribution to travel and tourism to GDP.
In 2014, 125,000 tourists visited Bangladesh. This number is extremely low compared to the total population. As of May 22, 2019, the total local population is 166,594,000. It gives a tourist ratio of 1 for every 1,333 locals.
Notable tourism Places in Bangladesh
Patenga beach located 14 km south of Chittagong city. It situated at the mouth of the Karnaphuli river. Patenga is a popular tourist destination. It is close to the Bangladesh Naval Academy and the Shah Amanat International Airport. Security is good at night and there is enough light on the road.
According to locals, tasty and delicious foods are available here very cheaply. One such popular meal is the spicy crab fried, which served with cucumber and onion salad. In the evening, the beaches have a pleasant relaxed atmosphere and people enjoy the gentle breeze here.
There are palm trees lined up all over the beach. Numerous fishing boats anchored here. There are also speedboats available for tourists. Most tourists come to Patenga beach to enjoy the beautiful views of the sunset and sunrise.
Chittagong City’s Faiz Lake
Faiz Lake is a human-made canal, located in Chittagong, Bangladesh. It stopped in the northern part of the city by stopping the water flow of the hill slopes, which constructed in 1924 under the supervision of the Assam Bengal Railway Authority. Faiz lake provides drinking water to the residents of the railway colony.
It was later named Fay’s Lake by the name of railway engineer Mr. Foy. It is known as Fay’s Lake. Watchtower is a railway area in Chittagong, where there are factories and sheds. A significant number of railway employees live here. Presently, there is a Bogie Workshop, Diesel Workshop, Loco Shed, Laboratory, Storage, Electric Workshop, a School (established – 1924). It is a railway property. However, the lake is currently a recreation park at the disposal of the Concord Group.
Cox’s Bazar beach
The world’s longest sea beach of Cox’s Bazar. Every day, various tourists are traveling to Cox’s Bazar. When visiting Cox’s Bazaar, you will find a magnificent view. A fantastic platform for Thousands of women, men and children. The sea shines with their cheerfulness. Many tourists are also victims of accidents in the water of the sea when the red flags do not obey the warning signal. Although the netting system planned to prevent the death of drowning on Cox’s Bazar beach, the plan did not see the light.
The tourist city now degraded due to extensive cutting of hills, deforestation, occupation of government land and the construction of illegal buildings within the town. Still, tourists are coming to Cox’s Bazar. The tourist spots of Cox’s Bazar district, including Cox’s Bazar beach, stone beaches in Inani, Adinath temple of Maheshkhali, fountains of Himachari, Dulhazara Safariparks, are crowded.
St. Martin’s Island
St. Martin’s Island is a coral island situated northeast of the Bay of Bengal in the south of Bangladesh. Were found plenty of coconuts and it called locally coconut Jinjira. On the island of St. Martin’s, several species of coral, snail-oyster, marine algae, occult flora, marine fish, amphibians and birds were seen.
The island is a popular tourist destination in Bangladesh. There are three launches daily coming from the mainland of Bangladesh(Teknaf). The speedboat also operates from Teknaf. There are currently many good residential hotels on St. Martin’s Island. There is a government postal bungalow. The law and order situation in St. Martin’s Island is good.
Rangamati Hill District
Rangamati Hill District is a popular tourist area under the Chittagong Hill Tracts. There is a lot to see here that attracts tourists. The Kaptai lake, mainly, is caused by a dam built by a Kaptai water power plant. The boat is very pleasant in the clear and calm water of this lake.
There are hanging bridges on the lake. The hill fountains of Shublong in Barkal Upazila of the district have already gained wide popularity with tourists. During the rainy season, the main stream falls down to about 300 feet high. Besides, Kaptai National Park is a significant travel area.
The Sundarbans, the largest mangrove forest in the world, is rich in biodiversity, located in the southwestern part of Bangladesh. This forest area extends along the coast of the Ganges and Rupsa rivers, along with West Bengal in Bangladesh and India.
Two hundred years ago, the actual size of the Sundarbans was about 16,700 sq km, which has reduced to 10,000 sq km now. 6,017 sq km of this Sundarbans falls on the Bangladesh border.
Sundarbans are now the property of world humanity, recognizing the UNESCO Sundarbans as a World Heritage in 1997. It is thought that Sundarbans have named after the SundSundori tree. In addition to the Sundori trees in this forest, there are 245 class and 334 species of trees, including Geva, Keora, bain, beast, Garvan, amur.
Sundarbans are the largest of the three mangrove forests on earth. The natural beauty and biodiversity of the Sundarbans have been attracting the tourists of domestic and foreign tourists. Especially the Royal Bengal Tiger, Chitra deer, crocodile and monkey group lying on the canal side attract more tourists.
Sixty dome mosque
The 60-domed mosque is an ancient mosque in the southwest of the Bagerhat district of Bangladesh. It believed that Khan-i-Jahan built it in the 15th century. It is one of the three world heritage sites of Bangladesh; The city of Bagerhat has given the status of a World Heritage Site.UNESCO awarded this honor in 1983.
The mosque is on the north and south sides About 160 feet and about 143 feet long on the inner side, and about 104 feet on the east-west side, and about 88 feet wide on the inside. The walls are about 8.5 feet thick.
The name of the mosque is sixty domes (60 domes), but the dome here is not 60 at all, domes, 77 in 11 rows. The seven domes in the middle row between the eastern gate and the mihrab between the west wall are very similar to the rice of the Chauchala house in Bangladesh. The remaining 70 domes are semi-circular.
Kuakata sea beach and a tourist in a southwestern region of Bangladesh. It is the second largest beach in the country. At the end of the Barisal Division, it is located at the southern end of the Latachapali union of Kalapara Upazila of Patuakhali district. The length is 18 km and the width is 3 km.
Kuakata is situated in the Latachapali Union of Kalapara Upazila of the Patuakhali district. Its distance from Dhaka is 380 km by road, 108 km from Barisal. To tourists, Kuakata is known as the “Sea Daughter.” Kuakata is the only beach in South Asia where both sunrise and sunset are seen. The best of which is the sunrise from the beam of the beach and the sunset from the west beach Kuakata, the lake of natural beauty.
At present, there is a slight decrease in sea coral grass. Kuakata is a clean beach and far less noisy than Cox’s Bazar. Kuakata is an ideal place for those who like a little nibbling beach. There is a row of coconut gardens surrounded by beaches. One of the attractions here is the ocean waves. When the waves come on and the feet fall, the softness touches the mind.
Gangamiti Char is an exciting place 10 km east of Kuakata beach. EcoPark designed just one and a half kilometers east of Zeropoint, Kuwait. The park located on 700 acres. The park’s garden contains 42,000 trees of various species of fruit, forestry and ornamental trees.
Tarua beach is a beach placed in Charfashon Upazila of Bhola district of Bangladesh. It is located one and a half kilometers from the district headquarters.
After a hundred and thirty-five kilometers of paved road, one has to cross fifteen kilometers by boat.
At Tarua beach, tourists can enjoy the vast waters of the ocean, the crowds of birds, the shade of the sandy marshes or the mangrove forests, the opportunity to spend time in the warm environment, the beasts of the sea and the roaring sea.
Nature has decorated the island with her own hands. Currently, Taura beach has become known as one of the tourist attractions of Bangladesh.
Lalbagh Fort is located in the heart of the capital city of Dhaka. It is one of the most popular tourist please in Bangladesh.
During his reign, Emperor Aurangzeb arranged for the construction of Lalbagh fort. Yuvraj Shahzada Azam, son of Emperor Aurangzeb, began construction of this palace in 1678. The then Lalbagh fort named as Aurangabad Fort. Later, during the reign of Shaista Khan of Subadar, in 1684, the fort was abandoned, leaving construction completed.
At that time, the new Aurangabad fort renamed as Lalbagh Fort, which is still in operation. Presently, the Archeology Department of the Government of Bangladesh has maintained the fort area since 2012.
Ahsan Manzil is located on the banks of the river Buriganga in Islampur, Dhaka. It was formerly the palace of the Nawabs of Dhaka. Ahsan Manzil currently used as a museum. Its founder is Nawab Abdul Ghani. He gave his son the name of Khawaja Ahsan Ullah. Ahsan Manzil’s construction was from 1859-1872.
At a meeting held here in 1906, it decided to establish a Muslim League. Founded in 1872. Ahsan Manzil has renovated several times. The latest reforms have made very recently. In the middle of the eighteenth century, Sheikh Inayatullah established the Rangmahal, the zamindar of the present Jamalpur pargana (now Faridpur-Barisal), enclosing the banks of Buriganga.
After his death, the son of the zamindar, Sheikh Matiullah, sold it to French merchants. About 1835 Khawaja Aliullah, the father of Nawab Abdul Ghani, who lived in Begum Bazar, bought it and started living. In 1872, Nawab Abdul Ghani renovated the building and renamed the building after his son Khwaja Ahsanullah. A severe cyclone heavily damaged the building in 1888 and an earthquake in 1897.
Ahsan Manzil is the first brick-and-stone building in Dhaka. Where the first electric lamp arranged, the nawabs hold it. The architectural style of the floor always attracted the West. Lord Curzon stayed here when he came to Dhaka. The government of Bangladesh preserves Ahsan Manzil as a museum. They opened to the public in 1992.
The number of specimens collected so far in the Ahsan Manzil Museum is 4 thousand 77. Exhibitions have arranged in 23 of the 31 rooms of this theater. Besides, nine rooms have arranged according to the 1904 photograph taken by the photographer Fritzkap.
Memorial of Shaheed Minar’s language movement. It located on the premises of Dhaka Medical College, Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. The first Shaheed Minar was built very fast and very unpredictably.
The students of Dhaka Medical College started construction of the monument on the afternoon of February 23, 1952, and completed it in the night. The news of Shaheed Minar sent to the paper on the same day. In the memory of Shaheed Veer – this title was published in the Daily Azad, the news of the Shaheed Minar.
The tower built on the east side of the bar number shed of the medical student hostel (barracks). The corner of the hostel narrowly crosses the road. The objective is to see from the outside road easily and any shade will come out and stand on the long-drawn road inside.
The Shaheed Minar Ten feet high and six feet wide. GS Sharfuddin (known as Engineer Sharfuddin) was overseeing the construction of the tower, designed by Badrul Alam. Saeed Haider was there. Two Masons assisted them. Bricks, sand and cement were brought from the warehouse of the old Dhaka’s Peeru Sardar for the expansion of the medical college.
After dawn, the tower covered with a cloth. Finally, after the recognition of Bengali as the official language of Pakistan, the work of the Central Shaheed Minar began in 1957. Its construction was completed in 1963 under the supervision of a committee headed by Prof Dr. Mahmud Hossain, Vice-Chancellor of Dhaka University.
Although various activities conducted in the Shaheed Minar area, it is still incomplete. Except on February 21, Shaheed Minar remains in a state of neglect.
Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban
The National Parliament is the main building of Jatiya Sangsad in Bangladesh. It located in the Sher-Bangla Nagar area of Dhaka. The chief architect of the prominent American architect Louis Kahn.
So far, eight parliamentary elections held in Bangladesh in the first and second sessions of the Parliament after the elections, which held in the old Parliament building, which currently used as the Prime Minister’s Office.
The construction of the National Assembly building for the Legislative Assembly for East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) and West Pakistan (present Pakistan) began in 1961. The first parliament building used in the eighth (and last) session of the second Parliament of Bangladesh on February 15 of the same year, after the construction completed on January 28, 1982.
Since then, the building used as a mainstay of parliamentary and governmental activities. Louis Kahn designed the remaining parts of the complex. The Jatiya Sangsad Bhavan is a part of the Jatiya Sangsad Complex. In the complex, there are also lovely gardens, artificial lakes and habitats MPs.
Sompur Buddhist Vihar
Paharpur Buddhist Vihar or Sompur Vihar or Sompur Mahabihar an ancient Buddhist abbey that currently damaged. Sri Dharmapaldev, the second king of the administration, was building this priory in the late eighth century or the ninth century. In 1879 Sir Cunningham discovered this great feat. In 1985, UNESCO gave it the status of a World Heritage Site.
It was the most famous Buddhist center of Buddhism for 300 years. Not only from different places of the subcontinent but Buddhists from China, Tibet, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and other countries also used to come here to practice religion and theology. In the tenth century BC, Acharya was the Acharya of Bihar. In the middle of the 8th century, Heuen Yang came to Pundravardhan, and in his description, there is no mention of the monastery and temple in Sompur.
Gopal’s son Dharmapala (781 – 822 AD) ascended the throne and ruled for a long time, extending the state beyond the Bengal Bihar to the Gandhara on the northwestern border of Pakistan. Emperor Dharmapal a very devoted Buddhist and he established Vikramshila and Sompur Vihar. According to others, the author of the famous Tibetan history book “Pag Sam Zhon Zhang” very clearly mentions the large monastery and the high temple built in Sompore by Devpal (810-850), the son of Dharmapala.
The monks of Sompur Vihar donated money and treasure gems to various Buddhist pilgrimage places like Nalanda, Buddha and others, which mentioned in various scripts that indicate the prosperous condition of the 10th – 11th centuries.
The capital city of Pundravardhan situated between Pundranagar (present Mahasthangarh) and the other town of Kotibarsha (present Bangarh), the Sompur Mahabihar. Its ruins located in the village of Paharpur in Badlagachi Upazila of Naogaon district under present-day Greater Rajshahi.
On the other hand, the distance from Jamalganj railway station in Jaipurhat district is only 5 km to the west. It is located in the flood plains of north Bengal, Bangladesh, and includes the upper area of the Barendra of the Pleistocene period. The soil is red due to the attendance of iron content in the soil.
However now, the largest of the soil is covered under debris. It sustained as a hill-like structure located approximately 30.30 m high from the surrounding plain. Locals used to call it ‘Gopal Cheetah Hill.’ Since then, its name has been Paharpur, though its real name is Sompur Vihar.
Varendra Research Museum
The Varendra Research Museum is the first Museum of Bangladesh established in Rajshahi city. It is rich in artifacts. This artifact was founded in 1913 by a private enterprise. Presently, the University of Rajshahi operates it.
The Varendra Research Museum located at Hatem Khan, the center of the metropolis of Rajshahi. It is the first Museum in Bangladesh. It is one of the archeological archives in South Asia. In the establishment of the Varendra Museum, Sharad Kumar Roy, the zamindar of the Dighapatia royal family of Natore, lawyer Akshay Kumar Maitra, and Ramprasad Chandra, a teacher of Rajshahi Collegiate School, have significant contributions.
In 1910, they formed the Varendra Search Society to collect and preserve the heritage and artifacts of Bengal. During that year, they searched 32 places in Rajshahi and collected 32 scarce specimens. To preserve these artifacts, construction of the Museum’s own building began on the land donated by Sharat Kumar Roy. Construction completed in 1913.
On November 13 of the same year, the then Governor of Bengal Carmichael inaugurated the Museum. In 1911, the Kolkata Museum abruptly demanded all the artifacts stored in it. With a government notification issued on February 14, 1913, with the efforts of the then Governor Carmichael, the Museum of Barendra given the privilege of collecting and preserving more than 9,000 collections of its Museum.
Here are the symbols of Indus civilization from a thousand years ago. Archaeological, stone statues, Buddhist statues made in the eleventh century Christian, statues of Bhairab, Ganga statues collected from the Mahenjodaro civilization among the invaluable collection of this Museum.
The silver coins of the Mughal period, the circular gold coins of the Gupta Emperor Chandragupta, and the silver coins of Emperor Shah Jahan are particularly remarkable. There are about 5000 sculptures out of which 3646 are Sanskrit and the rest written in Bengal.
Here is a painting on the perimeter of the Pala period from the Muslim period to the Muslim era. There are 256 historical items recovered from Paharpur, Naogaon.
Bagha Mosque is a historic mosque located in Bagha Upazila, about 40 km southeast of Rajshahi district headquarters. Sultan Nasiruddin Nasrat Shah founded the mosque in 1523.
The mosque was built by Sultan Nasrat Shah, son of Alauddin Shah, the founder of the Hussein Shahi dynasty, in 1523-1524 (930 AH). Later, the mosque renovated at various times and when the domes of the mosque demolished, the ruined mosque renovated in 1897.
Bagha Dargah Sharif or Bagha Mosque is one of the most spectacular buildings with rich architectural patterns. This commentary of Baghar and the widely publicized Shahi Mosque is a sign of recognition and respect for one of the most worthy rulers of Bengal’s Sultanate during this time.
Which is currently decorating the country with 50 rupee notes and 10 postage stamps.
Mahasthangarh is one of the oldest antiquities in Bangladesh. Previously it was called Pundravardhana or Pundranagar. It was once the capital of Mahasthangarh Bengal. There are many traces of Maurya, Gupta, Pal, Sena Empire. Mahasthangarh located in Shibganj Upazila of Bogra district. It located about 10 km north of Bogra city.
- Mazar Sharif
- The Calidah Sea
- Siladebira Ghat
- Parasurama’s Vita
- Gokul’s residence in Behula
- Govinda Vita
- Mahasthangarh Museum
Ramsagar is a human-made Dighi located in the village of Tezpur in Dinajpur district. It is the largest human-made Dighi in Bangladesh. The length of the sea along the coast is 1031 meters and the width is 364 meters. The depth is about 10 meters on average. The height of the pier is 13.5 m.
There was a ghat in the middle of the west bank of the Dighi, with some remains still there. The length and width of the pier constructed by sandstone slabs of various shapes were 45.8 m and 18.3 m, respectively.
The steep hills are each 10.75 meters high. According to historians, the famous King Ramnath of Dinajpur (reign: 1722-1760 AD) dug this Ramsagar Dighi before the Battle of Palashi (1750-1755 AD). It was named after him as Ramsagar.
Jaflong is an area of Goainghat Upazila in the Sylhet district of Bangladesh’s Sylhet Division. It is 62 km northeast of Sylhet city, lies at the foot of the Khasia-Janta Hills bordering India’s Meghalaya border, And here it is known as one of the best tourist destinations in Bangladesh because of the beautiful combination of mountains and rivers. It located in the border area of Sylhet in Bangladesh. On the other side is the Doki country of India. From the hills of the Doki region, the Daoki River enters Bangladesh through this Jaflong.
There are mountainous breaks in the Jaflong Tamabil Lalkhan area of Sylhet district. The sedimentary rocks are presented in this convexity, so geological surveys have conducted on several occasions by Bangladesh. There are four types of solid rock found in Bangladesh, in the middle of which there is stable rock gravel in Bholaganj Jaflong.
In addition to the monsoon rains in the hills of the Shillong Plateau on the Indian border. Massive boulders also carry the heavy flow of the Doki river from those hills.
Due to this, large quantities of stones found in the river Jaflong in the Sylhet area. And the maintenance of a large part of the people in this area has grown around the stone lifting and processing.
Madhabkund EcoPark is an eco-park located in the kanthaltali of Baralekha Upazila of Moulvibazar district under the Sylhet division of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Tourism Corporation has resthouses and restaurants. One of the attractions of this EcoPark is Madhabkund Falls, Dhunda Falls, Shri Sri Madheswara Shrine, and Tea Garden.
Madhabkund Falls is most commonly known as the largest waterfall in Bangladesh. Patharia Hills (formerly: Adam Isle Hills) made of solid rock; Gangamara flows over this hill. The rains have fallen down to Madhabkund Falls. That is, the stream flowing through the Ganges flows [from 12 October 1999] down to a height of about 162 feet. Normally water always falls in the mainstream.
During the monsoon, another little stream formed along the mainstream, and in the rainy season, the two streams merge with the intense flow of water. This vast stream of water has created to read down. Hakaluki haor mixed with the water of this honeycomb to flow west.