Black African American hair makes you look bold and confident, but at the same time, its fragile strands are tough to maintain. It can have unlimited issues like a sensitive scalp, weak strands of hair, or even dandruff. They can lead to itching, dryness or flaking in your lustrous natural hair.
Dandruff is caused due to over shedding of skin cells, which causes flakes. The significant causes of dandruff are:
- Dry skin- when the skin rejuvenates itself, it sheds the dry skin. The scalp might not be affected, but the body needs to be taken care of during winter. If the shedding replicated on the scalp, it could be solved by oiling those parts.
- Hair products- some hair products can trigger the dandruff situation. It might be due to the ingredients present in them, which cause irritation and sensitivity. You need to find the product that fulfils your requirements without causing dandruff or any other side effects.
- Seborrheic dermatitis- it is a medical condition in which the skin is very oily, leading to severe dandruff. Its symptoms include reddened and greasy skin, or even white or yellow flakes. The condition can spread o other parts of the body also. Consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis.
- Skin illnesses- skin can also be prone to diseases and need to be correctly taken care of. In eczema or psoriasis, people can suffer from dandruff. Malassezia is a fungus that accelerates skin cell growth. When it happens on the scalp, it can cause dandruff and skin irritation.
The best solution to get rid of all the flakiness is an anti-dandruff shampoo. They are like a double-edged sword- relieving dandruff and soothing the scalp at the same time. The shampoos are packed with a combination of synthetic and natural ingredients, which nourishes your hair.
The guide to select the best shampoo best on your needs and the top 12 choices for African American hair are mentioned below.
Buyer’s Guide to select the best dandruff shampoos for African American hair
A few things that one must look for while selecting a dandruff shampoo for African American hair are ingredients that are potent as well as high-quality. This will help restore as well as soothe each strand of hair. At the same time, the shampoo must also be budget-friendly and good smelling.
Must have powerful ingredients
For a shampoo to be capable of handling dandruff, it must contain at least one of the below-mentioned ingredients.
- Biotin: Also known as vitamin H, biotin is a dietary supplement that is essential for the proper growth of hair and nail. It also plays a vital role in the health of our skin. Biotin as an ingredient is readily available in shampoos as it is soluble in water.
- Coal Tar: In its raw form, coal tar is a sticky black mess; but at the same time has excellent skin-regenerating properties. When coal tar is used as an ingredient in dandruff shampoos, it causes the epidermis of the scalp to shed all of the dry skin, and also slow down the growth of skin in the future.
- Zinc Pyrithione– this particular ingredient is used to stop bacterial and fungal growth, so a zinc pyrithione shampoo is useful in extreme cases of dandruff. The shampoo also helps individuals find relief from seborrhoeic dermatitis.
- Tea Tree oil– this ingredient can be used as an alternative to chemical antifungals by ridding the scalp of fungal infections. Tea tree oil also reduces acne.
- Shea Butter– it has an unlimited number of uses. Shea butter not only tones uneven skin, but also moisturizes them and reduces inflammation, revitalizing the skin. It is also used to soften hair and battle scalp dryness. Shea butter is an excellent alternative to chemical-based options and can cure dandruff as well as other ailments.
Must be within your budget-
Be mindful of your budget and do not spend hundreds of dollars on a shampoo every month. This might seem obvious, but one can get addicted to an exquisite shampoo and keep on spending too much. It might bankrupt you! Choose a product that fits your budget as well as your hair requirements.
Choose a nice smelling shampoo-
Most dandruff shampoos have a strong odour. They are overpowering and can also have a chemical like smell. These shampoos may again wear off in a single day if you rinse your hair properly. So it is necessary to select a shampoo whose smell you enjoy to avoid unwelcome and strong odors.
Top 12 Best Dandruff Shampoos for African American Hair
1. Maple Holistics Tea Tree Oil Shampoo-
Maple Holistics recently launched a family-sized bottle and has captured the entire market with the promise of getting rid of dry and itchy skin. Infused with endless natural oils, Maple Holistics promotes thicker and lice free hair. They also promise superb antifungal and antibacterial properties and are suitable for all hair textures- be it curly, wavy or straight. The Maple Holistics shampoo is also free of any chemicals (like sulfates), thus not damaging the natural hair quality. Hence all symptoms of dry, flaky or itchy hair are gone.
- Relieves itchy and flaky skin- the Maple Holistics shampoo has skin healing properties, which reduces the symptoms of dandruff (flaky, dry scalp or an oily scalp). The shampoo results in a clean scalp, leading to shiny as well as healthy hair.
- Replenishes the hair- the shampoo contains herbal tea tree oil, combined with lavender oil and rosemary oil. Jojoba oil and argan oil are also present, which strengthens the hair while hydrating it. The hair is now full of great vitamins and replenished with moisture.
- Boosts the texture of hair- the tea tree oil present in this m Maple Holistics shampoo, also increases the shine, volume and smoothness of hair.
- Money-back guarantee- the company provides a risk-free refund policy. The dandruff shampoo has been made in the US and is sulphate, paraben and cruelty-free.
2. ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
Sulfates are easy to manufacture and are thus readily found in several shampoos. But such chemical ingredients can be more harmful to the scalp than be useful. So ArtNaturals Black castor-Oil has been prepared using only natural ingredients like aloe vera, argan oil, keratin, coconut oil, vitamins and botanical extracts. These ingredients guarantee a moisturized and dandruff free hair. The shampoo and the conditioner are prepared so that they complement each other well.
The shampoo accelerates collagen production to battle against dandruff successfully. The black castor oil plays a significant role in restoring hair color and eliminating any product build-up.
- The shampoo and conditioner set work together to hydrate and strengthen hair. It also revitalizes damaged, dry and color-treated hair.
- The shampoo and conditioner together balance the pH levels, remove an excess build-up of product and stimulate circulation in the scalp.
- The shampoo contains healing rosehip oil, soothing juice of aloe vera and the strengthening carrot oil. The conditioner contains coconut oil that hydrates the scalp and nettle extract that prevents hair loss.
3. First Botany Cosmeceuticals Therapeutic Tree Oil Scalp Shampoo
First Botany Tea Tree oil shampoo provides a scalp free of dandruff while soothing it at the same time. It also results in shiny flowing hair by moisturizing it. The shampoo is free of paraben or any sulfates, thus promoting natural and healthy hair growth. It also gets rid of hair loss or thinning hair.
The ingredients of First Botany Tea Tree oil also have antifungal and antibacterial properties, which reduces dryness and itchiness of the scalp. The shampoo has been perfected for African American hair and increases its volume while getting rid of dandruff.
- Rejuvenates the hair
- Gives shiny hair with increased volume
- Fungicidal, germicidal and antiseptic properties
4. Tea Tree Shampoo for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
The selling feature of the scalp Tea Tree shampoo is its antiseptic properties which have attracted the wanted attention. Lavender oil being one of its main ingredients is the key to getting rid of itchy and flaky scalp. The Tea tree shampoo has innumerable natural ingredients, which include- Moroccan Argan oil and aloe Vera, which clears the scalp of dandruff very fast. The shampoo also has antifungal and antibacterial properties that ensure permanent removal of flakes.
- Oil balancing astringent- The shampoo has Melaleuca essential oil that balances greasy hair and oily scalp. This results in oil-free hair with a beautiful shine.
- Provides a healthy look to the hair- Pure jojoba oil, and argan oil is used to moisturize the dry scalp and hair. The oils have anti-aging properties that thicken and condition the hair.
- Money-back guarantee- The company provides a risk-free refund policy, no questions asked.
5. Biotin Hair Loss and Dandruff Shampoo with Zinc pyrithione-
The ingredients in this shampoo are extraordinary and are perfect dandruff relievers. Zinc green tea is the main ingredient of this product. The shampoo is also infused with jojoba, biotin and tea tree oil- which heal your dandruff infested hair and cleans your scalp. It also contains a mulberry root, which helps relieve itching and scratching. All ingredients included are chemical-free and provide the best results.
- The anti-dandruff hair treatment is colour safe and also prevents thinning of hair.
- Provides voluminous and clean shiny hair, instilling you with confidence.
- The unique formula of this shampoo is naturally healing and works for all hair types, including curly African American hair and thick hair.
6. Honeydew Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo-
Honeydew maximum strength dandruff shampoo contains tea tree oil, biotin, zinc pyrithione as well as argan oil. This mix gives the shampoo a combination of all-natural relief and the potency of chemicals. It is one of the most sought after dandruff solution in the market as it provides medical and natural comfort. However, it is costly and also comes in a small 8oz bottle.
The shampoo is suitable for all hair types and is also colour-safe. Irrespective of skin type, honeydew maximum strength dandruff shampoo reduces itching and discomfort while curing dandruff problems. People with seborrheic dermatitis can use this shampoo, as it is very potent. It is also an excellent alternative for chemical-heavy shampoos that have an overpowering odour. The shampoo also removes body oils and dirt and replaces them with natural alternatives.
- Does not have a long-lasting odour
- Results in soft, shiny hair, which is entirely free of flakes
- Has a blend of natural and synthetic ingredients
7. The Roots Naturelle Virgin Hair Fertilizer Shampoo
This particular shampoo contains jojoba seed oil, honey extract, aloe Vera and tea tree oil. However, the rest of the ingredient list has not been released by the manufacturers. This can be dangerous, as the unknown ingredients may trigger severe allergies in the users.
Roots Naturelle virgin hair fertilizer shampoo was explicitly designed for African American hair. It softens the dreads and curls and also has a sweet scent. The shampoo handles the mild cases of dandruff with ease.
- Cleanses, as well as conditions dry and over-processed hair.
- Promotes hair growth and also takes care of dandruff.
- Has both aloe Vera and honey extract- essential ingredients to get rid of dandruff naturally.
- Specifically manufactured for African American hair.
- Nourishes and moisturizes the curls.
8. Jason dandruff relief treatment shampoo
Among all the shampoos listed here, Jason dandruff relief treatment shampoo is the most chemical-heavy, even though it is free of sulphates, phthalates, parabens or petroleum. However, it is also the most effective in case of dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis. A 12oz bottle contains 2.4% sulphur and 2.2% salicylic acid. These ingredients combat skin irritation but smell like rotten eggs. However, it is the most effective and affordable option.
The shampoo needs to be kept out of the eye while washing as it can cause extreme eye irritation.
- Prevents seborrheic dermatitis
- Recurrence of flaking, itching and scaling is controlled
- Must be used three times a week for best results. Lather in wet hair, massage it onto the scalp. Rinse and repeat.
9. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Bamboo Charcoal Deep Cleansing Shampoo
Shea Moisture shampoo is the trifecta of shampoos- it looks great, smells fantastic and is also affordable. In a 13oz bottle of the shampoo, a rich, brown mixture of bamboo charcoal, tea tree oil, African black soap and willow bark extract is present. It also has shea butter, juice of the aloe leaf and jojoba seed oil. The ingredients are well chosen and handle moderate cases of dandruff easily.
But the shampoo does not contain biotin or zinc pyrithione, making it less effective in the most extreme cases of dandruff. The shampoo works best for people with sensitive skin.
- Soothes itching, rejuvenates the hair, cleans the scalp, and also provides healthy hair.
- Sulphate free shampoo that washes away excess oil and dirt build-up.
10. Nizoral A-D Anti-dandruff shampoo
The 1% ketoconazole present in the Nizoral A-D Anti-dandruff shampoo bins the natural protein present in the hair, which gets rid of dandruff. The shampoo creates a thick lather to remove all the flakes from the scalp. The result is shiny and manageable hair. The formula also prevents itching, hair loss and is also safe for colour-treated hair. The shampoo thoroughly cleanses the scalp, giving soft and fresh smelling hair.
- Controls scaling and flaking
- Cleanses the scalp
- Itchiness and dryness is reduced
- Increases hair growth
- Hair loss is reduced
- Provides voluminous hair
- Safe for chemically processed hair
- Suitable for all types of hair, even thick hair
- Use it twice a week with your regular shampoo for the best results
11. Head and Shoulders Royal Oils moisture boost shampoo
The Head and Shoulders Royal Oils moisture boost shampoo balances the pH of the scalp and restores its health when used regularly. The shampoo hydrates the hair and scalp, relieving the itchiness caused by dandruff. It has been specifically designed for thick and curly hair.
The Head and Shoulders shampoo removes build-up by producing a heavy lather. It also ensures long-lasting hydration and helps the hair retain moisture after continuous usage of the product. The shampoo smells like coconuts and does not leave any foul-smelling odour.
- Does not contain dyes or parabens of any form
- Itchiness and dryness is soothed
- Build-up of flakes is removed from the scalp
- Scaling is also reduced
12. Mizani True Texture Moisture Replenish Shampoo
The Mizani True Texture Moisture Replenish Shampoo moisturizes and cleanses both the hair and the scalp. It also conditions, hydrates and smoothens the hair. Being rich in antioxidants, it ensures that your curls are defined and moisturized. All grit and residue are removed using this shampoo, giving a natural curl pattern to your beautiful thick hair. The Mizani True Texture is also suitable for rejuvenating colour-treated and damaged hair, giving it a voluminous and shiny look.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Gives healthy defined curls
- Moisturises the curls
- Sulphate free
- Paraben and silicone-free
- Professional product
- Apply to wet hair. Massage it in your scalp properly till lather forms. Wash it off thoroughly.
Editor’s Pick: the Best Dandruff Shampoos for African American Hair
All the shampoos mentioned above have their benefits and have something unique in them. Choosing from the many options can be a difficult task. The shampoo must get rid of your dandruff and also keep your natural African American hair moisturized and healthy. It must ensure a hydrated scalp, free from itching.
The Biotin Hair Loss and Dandruff Shampoo stood out for me. It seems like an elegant choice that will work best for your black hair. The shampoo has zinc pyrithione, a rare zinc tea that helps in hair growth and relieving dandruff. It also has innumerable other natural ingredients. The mulberry root reduces itching and scratching; zinc tea gives a unique edge to the shampoo. This Zinc Pyrithione will ensure that dandruff is a thing of your past while providing a healthy look to your hair!
Dandruff is caused when there is over shedding of skin cells. This causes flakes, leading to itchiness, dryness, etc. Every hair type is unique, and one needs to decide the appropriate anti-dandruff shampoo depending on their particular requirements.
Other ways to prevent dandruff are:
- Shower after exercise- sweating can cause scalp irritation, which accelerates skin cell growth. This causes dandruff. So a shower after running or gym exercises is a must.
- Shampoo daily- ultimate solution to maintain your hair and cleanse it of dandruff is regular shampooing. It prevents skin build-up and keeps the flakes away. Select your shampoo carefully.
- Drink water- water keeps our skin hydrated and healthy and is also the key for a healthy scalp. It prevents all kinds of skin conditions.