Did you know that as many as 70% of Americans don’t get the recommended hours of sleep? Getting an adequate amount of rest ensures that you are energetic for the next day. One of the popular ways people manage sleep problems is by taking CBD. Midss’s health experts Using CBD for insomnia is one of the common reasons people use this compound.
In this guide, we’ll find out if CBD works for insomnia or not based on studies. There are multiple forms of CBD products you can use for your wellness goals. Below are the best ways to use CBD for sleep and factors to consider before buying.
CBD for Insomnia: Does it work
Cannabidiol, commonly known as CBD, is one of the several cannabinoids present in the cannabis plant. Our endocannabinoid system interacts with these cannabinoids to cause them to operate (ECS).
The ECS is a system that helps maintain balance in the body. It regulates different processes, including appetite, mood, cognition, and sleep.
CBD is non-psychoactive. So, unlike its sibling, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), it will not get the user high. Instead, it provides a range of therapeutic effects.
Research suggests that CBD can help people with sleep problems including anxiety. However, these studies usually can’t explain how it helps. The researchers always emphasize that there’s a need for further studies. Moreover, many studies believe that CBD can help with sleep issues by tackling the root cause.
What does Research say About CBD And Insomnia?
To understand if CBD improves sleep, we first need to know the common causes of insomnia. Poor sleep has a variety of causes, including:
- Anxiety, depression, and other mental health disorders such as PTSD.
- Environmental factors, such as loud noises and poor sleeping surface
- Physical illnesses, such as chronic pain
- Medications you’re currently taking
You can use CBD for insomnia caused by external conditions. Treating these root causes may help improve your sleep quality.
For instance, some people who use CBD for anxiety and depression also report better sleep.
Not only that, several research works suggest CBD is effective for anxiety. In 2019, a study examined whether CBD could decrease anxiety or help sleep. This research involved 72 participants. 25 of them had trouble sleeping, while 47 experienced anxiety.
The participants took 25 mg of CBD each in a capsule form per day. By the first month, 66.7 percent reported improved sleep. 79.2 percent had lower levels of anxiety.
Another common cause of insomnia is pain. In a 2018 review, the authors noted there’s evidence suggesting CBD relieves pain. Also, in the reviews, the authors stated that by reducing chronic pain, CBD improves sleep.
In a 2014 study, researchers examined four patients with Parkinson’s disease. They found that CBD helped reduce the symptoms of REM sleep behaviour disorder (RBD). A person with RBD has trouble sleeping and experiences nightmares.
How to Properly Use CBD For Insomnia and Other Sleep Problems?
The CBD market currently consists of many product variations. So, there are different ways to use CBD for insomnia, including:
- Oils and tinctures
- CBD edibles like gummies
- Vape products
- Pills and capsules
Of all these forms of using CBD for insomnia, vaping provides the fastest effects. Also, more CBD gets absorbed into your system when compared to other methods. However, note that there’s not enough research on vaping CBD. Not just that, you may be exposed to possible respiratory health risks.
Also, there is no standard dosage of CBD for insomnia. So, the dose of CBD you use will depend on various factors. Some of these factors include your weight, metabolism, and the severity of your condition.
With CBD, what works for one person may not work for you. In most clinical trials and studies, researchers use varying dosages. We have daily doses ranging from 25 mg to 1500 mg CBD for sleep problems.
Besides, the general guideline for dosing CBD is to start with a low dosage. Gradually increase the dose until you find what works for your condition.
What to Consider Before Buying CBD for Insomnia?
There are different factors you should consider before buying CBD for insomnia. We have many CBD products gracing the stores today. And to enjoy the benefits, you must use a good CBD for sleep product as the market is flooded with low quality and counterfeit products.
Among the most important things to keep in mind when buying any CBD products, one must consider:
- Source of Hemp: Where the hemp is grown is one of the most important things to look out for. The reason is the hemp’s origin determines the quality of the end product. Choose brands that use rich, organic hemp plants. You want the plant to be free from pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals.
- Reliable Brand: Read customer reviews on the company’s website. Also, check out what the customers are saying on independent review sites like Trustpilot.
- Extraction Method: There are several methods of extracting CBD from the plant. And this affects the quality of the CBD product. So, you need to consider the method the company uses.
- CO2 extraction is considered the best in the industry. For that reason, you may want to choose brands that utilize this method.
- Third-party Tests: Sadly, the CBD industry is under-regulated. One of the ways users can verify the safety of a product is by looking at third-party reports. Avoid CBD companies that don’t provide a certificate of analysis (COA) containing third-party test results. Usually, the COA will be on the company’s website. If not, the company should provide it when you request it.
Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that affects a large number of people. Generally, doctors recommend lifestyle and behavioral changes. In some cases, they may prescribe medications.
Scientific research supports that CBD has many potential health benefits. Most importantly, studies suggest that it may help improve sleep. There are many ways to take CBD and tons of products to try out.
We recommend taking some time to research the CBD company before buying. Also, following our shopping guidelines will help you choose a high-quality product.