There are three main Types Of Possums You Will Find In Australia. The first is the common brushtail possum, which is the most widespread species. The second is the ringtail possum, which is mostly in eastern and southern Australia. The third is the sugar glider, which is mostly in northern and eastern Australia. Hire a Possum Removal Service In Perth company to get remove them from possums in your home.
So, here are 3 main Types Of Possums You Will Find In Australia:-
- Common brushtail possum
A common brushtail possum can weigh up to 4.5 kilograms, making it the heaviest of the three species. In other words, it is a nocturnal animal, which means it is most active at night. The brushtail possum has gray or brown fur, and a pointed nose. It is an excellent climber and you can mostly see them in trees.
The following are some interesting facts about the common brushtail possum:
- The common brushtail possum is also known as the Australian brushtail possum, the common possum, or the black-tailed possum.
- Brushtail possum is mostly in habitats including forests, woodlands, and urban areas.
- The common brushtail possum is a nocturnal animal and they feed on leaves, flowers, and fruits.
- The female brushtail possum will usually have one to three young at a time. The young are born blind and hairless and will stay in the pouch for about three months before emerging.
- The common brushtail possum is a protected species in Australia and is also considered to be a pest in some areas.
- Ringtail possum
The ringtail possum is smaller than the brushtail possum, weighing up to 2 kg. It is a marsupial, meaning it has a pouch in which it carries its young. The ringtail possum is mostly gray or brown, with a white belly.
Ringtail possum interesting facts:
1• The ringtail possum is the only member of its possum family.
2• They are a small marsupial, measuring only about 30 cm in length.
3• These possums are mostly in a range of habitats, including dry sclerophyll forests, rainforests, woodlands, and coastal heaths.
4• The ringtail possum is a tree-dwelling animal and is an excellent climber.
5• They have a prehensile tail, which it uses to grip onto branches.
6• These possums have a furry body and are gray or brown in color.
7• The ringtail possum has a diet of leaves, flowers, fruits, and insects.
8• The ringtail possum is an important part of the ecosystem, as it helps to disperse the seeds of the plants it eats.
9• The ringtail possum is hunted by a range of predators, including owls, snakes, foxes, and feral cats.
10• The ringtail possum is listed as a vulnerable species.
- Sugar glider
In terms of weight, the sugar glider possum weighs as little as one kilogram. It is a marsupial, meaning it has a pouch in which it carries its young. So, most sugar gliders are gray, with a white belly. It has a long tail, which it uses to glide between trees. You can also read some insights on Best Ways To Keep Possums From Getting Up On Your Roof And Destroying Your Homes.
Some interesting facts about sugar gliders and possums:
- Sugar gliders and possums are both marsupials.
- Sugar gliders are native to Australia, Indonesia, and Papua New Guinea, while possums are native to Australia and New Guinea.
- Most sugar gliders are nocturnal, while most possums are arboreal.
- Sugar gliders live in colonies, while possums live alone or in pairs.
- Sugar gliders have a gliding membrane that allows them to glide between trees, while possums do not have this ability.
- Possums are generally larger than sugar gliders, with the exception of the pygmy possum which is smaller than some sugar gliders.